Saturday, February 11, 2012

Easy and No-Fuss-Low-PointsPlus®-Taco-Salad

First off, I love all Mexican food...it makes me happy and I could eat it until the cows came home.  If Hubby asks me where I would like to go out to eat, 9 out of 10 times, I say "Mexican".  I blame my Dad.  No, he's not Mexican, but he likes Mexican food a lot, too.  He covers his food with hot sauce and he's happy.  Anyway, I wanted tacos the other night (homemade) but I didn't want to use the points for the hard shells or tortillas, so I whipped this up and I'm pretty addicted to it.  Can't lie.

Lori's Easy and No-Fuss-Low-PointsPlus®-Taco-Salad

You'll need:
4 ounces of lean ground turkey - 5 PointsPlus® 
1/2 cup of fat free refried beans - 2 PointsPlus® 
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil - 1 PointsPlus® 
2 teaspoons of a taco seasoning - 0 PointsPlus® 
1/2-3/4 cup of fat free salsa (mild, medium or hot if you're spicy) - 0 PointsPlus® 
1/4 cup of fat free sour cream (optional) - 1 PointsPlus® 
greens - I used a lot of spinach and lettuce - 0 PointsPlus® 
red onion (used as a garnish/topping, it's not necessary and use what you like) - 0 PointsPlus® 
matchstick carrots (as much as you would like to add) - 0 PointsPlus® 

First, you'll get out your ground turkey.  I slice and portion mine when it's mostly frozen for less mess and it's great to just 'grab and go'.  So, here I have my pre-measured 4 ounces of lean, ground turkey. 


 I toss that in a small skillet and dump my salsa on top of that and add my taco seasoning.  This is also where I add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.


While that is browning (and it doesn't take too long!) this is when I chop up my greens.  I used lettuce and spinach. (some green onions would be nice in here, just thought of that!)


By the time you're done chopping and have added your matchstick carrots (best thing ever), your meat and salsa combo should be ready for the refried beans.  Keep stirring together until nice and heated through, then remove from heat.

Next you'll dump the cooked meat/salsa/refried bean combination onto your leafy, green salad.  Top with 1/4 cup of fat free sour cream, maybe a little salsa or zero point taco sauce and stir!  


Here are the Weight Watchers®  totals!  Remember the PointsPlus®  may change with any variations in this recipe!  Not only is this super filling, but you get to check off oils and fruits/vegetables on your Weight Watchers®  Healthy Checks!  Happy Eating!  but who's going to clean up the kitchen?



* apparently I call 'shredded carrots, matchsticks carrots....no idea why!  I swear it said matchsticks at the store! 

1 comment:

  1. Look at you making up healthy recipes. What's going on? But I'll definitely have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete